At Microsoft’s annual meeting, shareholders raised some tough questions on Microsoft’s Mobile strategy under Satya Nadella. The CEO was asked to explain his future vision for mobile. He was also asked to explain why iOS and Android have Microsoft apps or apps’ features, which Windows Phone or Windows 10 Mobile doesn’t. Some of these shareholders are dedicated owners of Windows Phone and ill-fated Microsoft band devices.
Satya Nadella’s reply was reassuring and on similar lines to what he has conveyed so far in his past interviews. While emphasizing that Microsoft is not stepping away from mobile devices, he reiterated focus on points of differentiation like “Continuum”.
Nadella answered, “We think about mobility broadly. In other words, we think about the mobility of the human being across all of the devices, not just the mobility of a single device.”HP Elite x3
“That said, we’re not stepping away or back from our focus on our mobile devices,” Nadella said. “What we are going to do is focus that effort on places where we have differentiation. If you take Windows Phone, where we are differentiated on Windows Phone is on manageability. It’s security, it’s Continuum capability — that is, the ability to have a phone that can act like a PC. So we’re going to double-down on those points of differentiation.”
He cited the HP Elite x3 device as an example of a Windows 10 phone that follows this strategy.
“We will keep looking at different forms and different functions that we can bring to mobile devices, while also supporting our software across a variety of devices,” Nadella said. “So that’s the approach you will see us take. We are not stepping away from supporting our Windows Phone users. But at the same time we are recognizing that there are other platforms in mobile that have higher share, and we want to make sure that our software is available to them.”
As mentioned earlier, this is not the first time however that Nadella has talked about bringing something category-defining even alluring to an “ultimate mobile device”. In a previous Interview he talked about creating Phone Categories with “some new form, new function, new value added”.
We recently reported exclusive details including some specs and features of Microsoft’s upcoming flagship Surface Phone. Now a new report emerges from China claiming Pegatron as the ODM of choice for production of Surface Phone by Microsoft.
Read our Full Surface Phone Coverage:
- Nokia Android Phones, Surface Phone, Creators Update: What 2017 has in store?
- Claimed Microsoft Surface Phone renders leak in china. Bears the Surface Phone name.
- Microsoft CMO hints at brand-new category of Mobile devices in 2017
- Microsoft will be present at MWC 2017. What to expect?
- Surface Phone Protos run on Snadragon 835. Display Size, processor, RAM details from our sources
- Official: Windows 10 on ARM brings X86 Win32 apps to Snapdragon processors. Video
- Surface Phone Leaks & Rumors roundup: All that we know yet
- CEO Nadella to Microsoft Shareholders: Not stepping away from mobile devices
- Report: ODM Pegatron ready to begin trial production of Surface Phone
- Nadella talks about “most ultimate mobile device”, “structural innovation” in the phone arena
- Microsoft planning X86 Emulator on ARM64 for Redstone 3 (Surface Phone)??
- Leaked images reveal cancelled Windows Phone with Intel chip & Laptop Dock
- Satya Nadella: Microsoft creating Phone categories with “some new form, new function, new value added”
- Microsoft: There will be Windows Mobile “devices” with ARM Chips & Cellular connectivity
- Surface Phone may come with its own Surface Laptop Accessory. 3-in-1 Form factor to be major highlight
- New Surface Phone concept takes inspiration from Surface Pro 4
- Microsoft committed to 1st Party devices (Surface Phone), Windows 10 Mobile. Hypes about “Summer update”
- Microsoft Surface Phone’s new concept imagines colorful personality with Pen & Keyboard
- Why Microsoft has pushed Surface Phone launch to (Aug-Sep 2017)?
- Another report claims Surface Phone(s) will run on Snapdragon (ARM) processor