A bit of information about the latest Surface Phone protos emerge from our trusted sources yet again. There are more than one Surface Phone protos in testing at Microsoft and here is what we have learned,
Surface Phone Specs & features:
- The protos that we have information about run Snapdragon 835 and support Quick charging 4.0
- Windows 10 Mobile architecture on them is already 64-Bit and one of them has 6 GB RAM
- What is most interesting is the information that the one proto with 6 GB RAM can already run X86 apps in Continuum. We have heard a lot about Microsoft working on X86-on-ARM64 emulation and this may be one of the implementations. Sources however tell us that Protos can’t run X86 apps by themselves yet, but can install them. Once connected via Continuum you can run any X86 apps.
- The earlier reported Laptop Accessory is still a thing and we hear Microsoft is seriously purusing the 3-in-1 form factor.
- One of the Protos is said to have 4 GB RAM and still runs Snapdragon 835. It does have 64-Bit Windows 10 Mobile version but can’t run X86 apps in Continuum. That may be just a version thing or Microsoft may be planing one consumer and one enterprise-oriented Surface Phone variant.
- Display-size wise we hear both are said to have a 5.5-inch, QHD display, but this is just a guess having a look at the display and not actual measurement.
- Microsoft has made it official now that X86 Win 32 apps will be able to run on Snapdragon processors with windows 10 on ARM.
You can read our full Surface Phone coverage including latest news, specs, leaks and concepts by clicking here.
Redstone 3 and Release Date:
- Protos of-course run a Windows 10 Mobile version from different branch. Redstone 3 will be relatively much bigger update than Redstone 2. For Redstone 3 development cycle Windows team is prioritizing Mobile as Windows 10 development target.
- Our sources have confirmed that Surface Phone launch is delayed now to late 2017. It will now come running Windows 10 Mobile focused Redstone 3 out of the box.
This info comes from one of our trusted sources with good accuracy. But Companies have been known to launch different configurations than seen on protos in retail products. Also features vary with OS versions and final release OS version may or may not have all the features seen in protos.
Original Article Date: Nov 28, 2016
Updated on: Dec 08, 2016
Read our full Surface Phone coverage:
- Nokia Android Phones, Surface Phone, Creators Update: What 2017 has in store?
- Claimed Microsoft Surface Phone renders leak in china. Bears the Surface Phone name.
- Microsoft CMO hints at brand-new category of Mobile devices in 2017
- Microsoft will be present at MWC 2017. What to expect?
- Surface Phone Protos run on Snadragon 835. Display Size, processor, RAM details from our sources
- Official: Windows 10 on ARM brings X86 Win32 apps to Snapdragon processors. Video
- Surface Phone Leaks & Rumors roundup: All that we know yet
- CEO Nadella to Microsoft Shareholders: Not stepping away from mobile devices
- Report: ODM Pegatron ready to begin trial production of Surface Phone
- Nadella talks about “most ultimate mobile device”, “structural innovation” in the phone arena
- Microsoft planning X86 Emulator on ARM64 for Redstone 3 (Surface Phone)??
- Leaked images reveal cancelled Windows Phone with Intel chip & Laptop Dock
- Satya Nadella: Microsoft creating Phone categories with “some new form, new function, new value added”
- Microsoft: There will be Windows Mobile “devices” with ARM Chips & Cellular connectivity
- Surface Phone may come with its own Surface Laptop Accessory. 3-in-1 Form factor to be major highlight
- New Surface Phone concept takes inspiration from Surface Pro 4
- Microsoft committed to 1st Party devices (Surface Phone), Windows 10 Mobile. Hypes about “Summer update”
- Microsoft Surface Phone’s new concept imagines colorful personality with Pen & Keyboard
- Why Microsoft has pushed Surface Phone launch to (Aug-Sep 2017)?
- Another report claims Surface Phone(s) will run on Snapdragon (ARM) processor