Microsoft may be have finally found a way to make X86 apps to run on ARM64 Windows 10 Mobile devices. Here we are not talking about next version of Continuum however. Microsoft is planning to bring lots of improvements in Continuum with Creators update aka Redstone 2.
But now it seems Microsoft is already working to bring a X86 Emulator on ARM64. This should theoretically allow Windows 10 Mobile devices with ARM64 chips to run Win32 apps. There are ample hints in the Code base of Windows 10 Mobile latest Insider builds, as discovered by Microsoft enthusiast Walking Cat.
it looks like Windows's hybrid x86-on-ARM64 tech has a new name "CHPE", whatever it means 🙂 maybe something like Compound Hybrid PE ? pic.twitter.com/aW1RLYU3dM
— WalkingCat (@h0x0d) November 21, 2016
As per the tweet posted by Walking Cat this X86-on-ARM64 emulator is called CHPE. Now this name may or may not have any particular significance.
We have shared via our sources earlier that Redstone 3 will be Mobile-focused iteration of Windows 10 unlike Redstone 1 and 2. Surface Phone will come out running Windows 10 Mobile Redstone 3 out of the box. Our sources have confirmed that Surface Phone launch is delayed now to late 2017.
We have reasons to believe that upcoming Snapdragon 830 / 835 processor will have capability to support such level of virtualization. So, it all makes sense. Windows 10 Mobile Redstone 3 will not only bring 64-Bit architecture for Windows 10 Mobile, but will also enable X86-on-ARM64 -Emulator.
Read our full Surface Phone coverage:
- Nokia Android Phones, Surface Phone, Creators Update: What 2017 has in store?
- Claimed Microsoft Surface Phone renders leak in china. Bears the Surface Phone name.
- Microsoft CMO hints at brand-new category of Mobile devices in 2017
- Microsoft will be present at MWC 2017. What to expect?
- Surface Phone Protos run on Snadragon 835. Display Size, processor, RAM details from our sources
- Official: Windows 10 on ARM brings X86 Win32 apps to Snapdragon processors. Video
- Surface Phone Leaks & Rumors roundup: All that we know yet
- CEO Nadella to Microsoft Shareholders: Not stepping away from mobile devices
- Report: ODM Pegatron ready to begin trial production of Surface Phone
- Nadella talks about “most ultimate mobile device”, “structural innovation” in the phone arena
- Microsoft planning X86 Emulator on ARM64 for Redstone 3 (Surface Phone)??
- Leaked images reveal cancelled Windows Phone with Intel chip & Laptop Dock
- Satya Nadella: Microsoft creating Phone categories with “some new form, new function, new value added”
- Microsoft: There will be Windows Mobile “devices” with ARM Chips & Cellular connectivity
- Surface Phone may come with its own Surface Laptop Accessory. 3-in-1 Form factor to be major highlight
- New Surface Phone concept takes inspiration from Surface Pro 4
- Microsoft committed to 1st Party devices (Surface Phone), Windows 10 Mobile. Hypes about “Summer update”
- Microsoft Surface Phone’s new concept imagines colorful personality with Pen & Keyboard
- Why Microsoft has pushed Surface Phone launch to (Aug-Sep 2017)?
- Another report claims Surface Phone(s) will run on Snapdragon (ARM) processor