In a cryptic hint about future Windows 10 Mobile devices from Microsoft, Terry Myerson, Microsoft’s Windows Chief has said in an interview to ZDNet that Microsoft will continue investing in Windows Mobile. Here are some salient points he made in the interview about the stuff our readers may like to hear more about.
- Microsoft is not going to stop investing in Windows Mobile. It sees a place in future for ARM chips and Cellular connectivity. That statement “And at Microsoft we have a few of those examples where we stopped” really shows that people at Microsoft do regret missing the Mobile revolution.
When you stop investing in these things, it’s super hard, super, super hard to restart. And at Microsoft we have a few of those examples where we stopped. Sometimes, when you’re investing into growth. it’s easier, but when you’re investing for technical strategy or things like that, sometimes people can question it — like you’re doing right now. But especially among your readers, I don’t think there’s much debate that ARM processors have a role in the future. And cellular connectivity does as well.
- Terry Myerson has intentionally mentioned devices instead of Phone. And we believe it rhymes well with the fact that Surface Phone may not be just another phone but a 3-in-1 form factor device in itself.
So we’re going to continue to invest in ARM and cellular. And while I’m not saying what type of device, I think we’ll see devices there, Windows devices, that use ARM chips. I think we’ll see devices that have cellular connectivity.
Read our Full Surface Phone Coverage:
- Nokia Android Phones, Surface Phone, Creators Update: What 2017 has in store?
- Claimed Microsoft Surface Phone renders leak in china. Bears the Surface Phone name.
- Microsoft CMO hints at brand-new category of Mobile devices in 2017
- Microsoft will be present at MWC 2017. What to expect?
- Surface Phone Protos run on Snadragon 835. Display Size, processor, RAM details from our sources
- Official: Windows 10 on ARM brings X86 Win32 apps to Snapdragon processors. Video
- Surface Phone Leaks & Rumors roundup: All that we know yet
- CEO Nadella to Microsoft Shareholders: Not stepping away from mobile devices
- Report: ODM Pegatron ready to begin trial production of Surface Phone
- Nadella talks about “most ultimate mobile device”, “structural innovation” in the phone arena
- Microsoft planning X86 Emulator on ARM64 for Redstone 3 (Surface Phone)??
- Leaked images reveal cancelled Windows Phone with Intel chip & Laptop Dock
- Satya Nadella: Microsoft creating Phone categories with “some new form, new function, new value added”
- Microsoft: There will be Windows Mobile “devices” with ARM Chips & Cellular connectivity
- Surface Phone may come with its own Surface Laptop Accessory. 3-in-1 Form factor to be major highlight
- New Surface Phone concept takes inspiration from Surface Pro 4
- Microsoft committed to 1st Party devices (Surface Phone), Windows 10 Mobile. Hypes about “Summer update”
- Microsoft Surface Phone’s new concept imagines colorful personality with Pen & Keyboard
- Why Microsoft has pushed Surface Phone launch to (Aug-Sep 2017)?
- Another report claims Surface Phone(s) will run on Snapdragon (ARM) processor