If you are an Indian citizen you must be very much aware of the Aadhaar, an initiative by the Indian Government which helps an individual to prove and protect his/her identity.
In order to step up the process, Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) has released an official mAadhaar app in the Google Play Store for Android. The mAadhaar app provides a simpler but effective way of carrying an individual’s (with valid Aadhaar Number) demographic information viz. Name, Date of Birth, Gender & Address along with photograph as linked with their Aadhaar Number in smart phones.
An Aadhaar number is a 12-digit random number issued by the UIDAI (“Authority”) to the residents of India after satisfying the verification process laid down by the Authority.
Seeing the number of Android smartphone users in India, the app will surely be able to bring some relief to people of India especially youngsters as well as the poor. However, it is mandatory to visit nearest Enrolment Centre in case you do not have Aadhar Number or the mobile number is missing and has not been registered against the same.
Key Features of mAadhaar app include:
- Aadhaar Number Holder profile download – A convenient way to carry Aadhaar number with demographic details anytime, anywhere.
- Biometric locking/unlocking – To secure biometric authentication by locking biometrics data. Once resident enables Biometric Locking system their biometric remains locked till the Aadhaar Holder chose to either Unlock it (which is temporary) or Disable the Locking system.
- TOTP generation – Time-based One-Time Password is an automatically generated temporary password which can be used instead of SMS based OTP.
- Update of profile – An updated view of Aadhaar profile data after successful completion of update request.
- Sharing of QR code and eKYC data by Aadhaar Number holder – Share QR code and password protected eKYC data to retrieve accurate demographic information from it instead of manual entry.
From what we observe from the reviews on the Play Store, the app may be quite buggy at the moment and has received a LOT of negative reviews but since this is its first public release, you should be patient and provide a helpful review for the app developers so they could improve the app in the future release.
Nonetheless, give the app a try by downloading it from the Play Store using the link below.
[appbox googleplay in.gov.uidai.mAadhaarPlus]