Microsoft rolled out OTA update of Windows 10 Mobile to some older Lumia phones with some minimum requirements. The list of phones in the update list seems little biased to me personally. The list of devices that are getting official Windows 10 Mobile update is having Lumia 1520, 930, 640, 640XL, 730, 735, 830, 532, 535, 540, 635 1GB, 636 1GB, 638 1GB, 430, 435, BLU Win HD w510u, BLU Win HD LTE x150q, MCJ Madosma Q501. These are the devices that are getting Windows 10 Mobile update officially. But why the list is very short? I mean when Microsoft announced Windows 10 back in 2015, they said that they will update all the devices running Windows Phone 8.1 to Windows 10 or even Windows Phone 8 devices . OS this is big question that comes to my mind when I take a look back & see some legendary devices like the Lumia 1020, Lumia 920, Lumia 925, Lumia 820 Lumia 928, Lumia 1320 etc. So this makes me think that the Windows 10 Mobile update is little biased to devices manufactured under ‘Microsoft’ name as we have some entry-level devices like Lumia 455, 532,535 etc. Now if we take a look at the number of devices manufactured under Nokia name, I’ll just say only 2 major devices i.e. Lumia 1520 & Lumia 930. Microsoft even left the Lumia Icon which is same as Lumia 930. But they have confirmed that they have taken the Lumia Icon into consideration.
Now the point of discussion how they can take a weaker device like Lumia 435, 636 & 636 etc & ignore more powerful devices like Lumia 920,925 & 1320 etc. Even 1020 was having better specs than Lumia 435 ,636,638 & 535 etc. it was having 2GB of RAM instead of 1GB in these devices. How justified is Microsoft’s decision to move on & leave some most popular devices out. Among all the devices, the Lumia 435 is having weakest processor which is just a dual core Qualcomm Snapdragon 20 which is also quite dated one.
The company has already confirmed that there won’t be any second wave of Windows 10 Mobile update. So there won’t be nay new device in the update list. Bu this was also confirmed that Lumia Icon may be considered as they have released update for Lumia 930 which is exactly same as Lumia Icon.
Now it seems like providing honest feedback can be penalized. Microsoft has made it’s decision to exclude devices on so-called feedback from Insiders. Insiders may have provided better feedback so that Microsoft can take correct action, but now it seems it backfired. Microsoft may get less valuable feedback going forward because Insiders may not be so much open now. Insiders might also be disappointed with this decision of Microsoft & those who are not supported might not even provide feedback in future.
We have always demoed Threshold builds on a Lumia 525 and last builds ran just fine on it. So it seems surprising that even 1 GB RAM devices were excluded in spite of running the OS satisfactorily. But after all at the end of the day it’s totally upto Microsoft to choose the number of devices. you can check the above video to know more about how the build 10586.164(RTM) runs on Lumia 525 & Lumia 640XL.
We have already published an article of How to fix Windows 10 Mobile OTA update errors & issues occurring in update. A Hack tutorial was also published on NPU that lets you get Redstone builds on any Lumia phone by changing the registry values & some other minor changes. Here you can get all the info related to Windows 10 Mobile build 10586.164 for those who are not in the update list. To read more about what’s new in Windows 10 Mobile, visit this link. It has all the features depreciation & change-log mentioned there. To know about how to prepare for the Windows 10 Mobile update, click here. TO get this update in you device, you need to download the ‘Upgrade Advisor’ app from the Windows store. Once you have downloaded the app, just open it & follow on-screen instructions.Also don’t forget to tick on ‘Enable Windows 10 upgrade’ which lets you device prepare for the update. After this, you just need to go to Settings & check for update.
What’s New in Windows 10 Mobile:
We have already published a detailed Official changelog & hands on demo article which you can get here. But in a brief we will mention some major changes.
- Tiles, Start Screen & Action Center (UI) Changes.
- Actionable notifications.
- Notifications Settings ,better arrangement of notifications in the notifications pane.
- New settings app with more categorized view.
- New Keyboard & Speech to text on the top of the keyboard.
- New universal Photos app.
- New universal Groove music app.
- New universal Films & TV app.
- New Alarms app for Windows 10.
- Storage sense has been changed to Storage with UI changes.
- New Camera App for Windows 10.
- Some other improvements to Cortana.
- Integration of Skype with Messaging.
- New Universal Windows Store App.
- New phone && dialer app.
- New People app for Windows 10.
- New File Explorer app for Windows 10 Mobile.
- Offline maps app & Revamped Maps UI.
- New Universal Windows 10 browser-Microsoft Edge
- New & Enhanced Outlook Mail & Calendar app.
- New settings to disable/enable background apps running.
- Some UI changes in the Battery Saver app.
- Universal Office Mobile Apps.
- New modifications in the Backup options.
- Developer options in Windows 10.
- Printing is also included.
- PDFs can now be opened in the Microsoft Edge browser.