In an interview to Forbes, HMD CEO Arto Nummela has candidly talked about his decision of making Nokia-Android a possibility. He also emphasizes that they are working with Google (?) and that Google is very eager to get Nokia in its Android line-up of vendors.
“The new smartphone will launch in the first half of 2017,” Nummela is proud to tell me. That handset will use Google’s Android as the operating system, and Google is as excited as anyone to welcome Nokia back, especially if it is paired up with the Android name. “Yes, we’re working with Google, and they are extremely eager to see Nokia in the Android line-up.”
It is though not clear what the working with Google means. Is it some type of collaboration for getting the latest and best of Android OS features on upcoming Nokia smartphones??
He also revealed an interesting analysis about customers switching to Nokia X, Nokia’s earlier tryst with Android. As per the analysis, many customers switched from high-end Samsung handsets and Apple iPhones to Nokia X. He also promised to exceed expectations of Nokia loyals.
“When we started our analysis of that device, who bought it, and what their previous device was, we found that many of them came from high-end Samsung handsets and Apple iPhones.” Given the difference in specifications between those high-end devices and the decidedly mid-range power and capability of the Nokia X, I found myself as surprised as HMDs team. “It made no sense for them to move, but they did. That’s why there is an absolute unique chance to present a true Android device,” Nummmela enthuses in his quiet Finnish manner.
“This time I promise we will exceed their expectations.”
We earlier reported about two high-end Nokia Android Nougat Phones in works as a part of upcoming Nokia Android portfolio. We have also reported some exclusive information about upcoming Nokia Android smartphone Nokia D1C, which is quite can read our full Nokia D1C coverage by clicking here.
Read our Full Nokia Phones coverage:
- Nokia 8 Sirocco Display & Audio quality review
- Nokia 6.1 4GB RAM Blue-Gold model unboxing & Hands-on first impressions
- Nokia 6.1, 7 Plus & 8 Sirocco available at discounted pricing with Airtel Plans
- Nokia X6 sells out in seconds again during the 2nd sales opening
- Nokia X6 crosses 1 million reservations before sales re-opening tomorrow
- Report: Nokia had 14% market share for 2nd top feature phone vendor ranking
- Nokia smartphone (TA-1080; TA-1092; TA-1084; TA-1093; TA-1086) passes Bluetooth certification
- New Nokia phones TA-1080 & TA-1095 pass Russian certification before May 29 launch
- Nokia 8 Sirocco, 7 Plus, 6.1 & 1 available in Australia now
- Updated list of markets. May Security update comes to Nokia 3.
- Nokia X6 sold out in 10 seconds, as it amassed over 700,000 reservations in China
- Nokia 6.1 (6 2018) Camera review. Camera comparison vs Nokia 6
- Best Nokia 7 Plus deals in India, UK, Germany, France & other markets
- Best Nokia 6.1 (6 2018) deals in India, UK, US, Germany & other markets
- Nokia 2 now gets May Security update. [List of Markets]
- Nokia X6 global launch confirmed, as 92% Nokia fans vote for it
- May Security update for Nokia 8 Sirocco available now. [List of Markets]
- Nokia Smartphone TA-1057/TA-1063 with 18:9 display, 2900 mAH battery seen at FCC
- Nokia 8 Sirocco & 7 Plus Camera review. Camera comparison vs Nokia 8
- New Nokia X6 variant TA-1103 seen raising hope of a global launch