Windows Phone 8.1 is such an upgrade over Windows Phone 8 that it really feels like Windows Phone 9 than Windows Phone 8.1. So, while there is so much to like about it and you can read our Windows Phone 8.1 pages for much more coverage, there are always areas of improvements. This is developers preview build and may be Microsoft can take care of some of the suggestions when it gets released for public. So, here are some of the things which I didn’t like or stuff which needs improvement. Weigh in with our opinions in comments.
- No Mobile data on / off and 2G / 3G toggle in Quick-access settings. This is a bummer. I would love to have both in a place like India where we have so much issue with 3G networks at times.
- Music app though brings better playlist capability, but performance wise is a downgrade. Even the history has gone missing. It is slow and sluggish. Certainly needs improvement and as Joe Belfiore has confirmed updated app is coming soon
- The Facebook chat integration has been one of the cool features of Windows Phone and now Facebook chat goes missing from messaging app. I don’t know, whether this will come back though.
- No option to set all Tiles transparent when putting a start screen background. This could have been great, if there. Though developer are making their tiles transparent now, what better than a native option to override all individual app tiles color settings
- There are some bugs which I have encountered and one of them is device going unresponsive when moving an app from Phone to SD card or vice versa. Just to let Microsoft know.
- Like Ume mentioned in comments below, HERE Maps and many other apps don’t still make use of API which comes with Windows Phone 8.1 and makes “Background transfer” app independent. It is certainly a dislike when you can’t leave the app before some upload or download finishes.
Do let us know your set of dislikes or areas of improvements below.