It seems Japan is slated to get its first Windows 10 Mobile running smartphone on November 30. The phone is named Katana 01 and is manufactured in Japan. Carrier Freetel seems to have exclusive rights on this phone in Japan. It will be followed by Katana 02 and more domestically manufactured Windows 10 Mobile smartphones in Japan. Japan has long been a neglected market as far as Windows Phone is concerned. Nokia never tried hard to crack it and same continued with Microsoft Mobile. Hope things are changing for good.
For reading about Windows 10 Mobile features and massive changelog in detail, click here.
Katana 01 Specifications:
- 4.5” display, 480p resolution
- Quad core 1.1GHz Processor
- 1GB RAM, 8GB ROM
- Up to 32GB MicroSD card capable.
- 5MP cam on back, 2MP front
- 8hr talk time, 150hr standby
- 1750mAh battery (User-replaceable/swappable)
- 2G:GSM 850/900/1800/1900MHz (note: we never had 2G GSM in Japan, so this is for roaming use only)
- 3G:WCDMA Bands 1/6/8/19 (common for Asia and Europe. Won’t work in the Americas.)
- 4G: LTE FDD 1/3/8/19 (Same as above)
Katana 01 Pricing & Release Date:
It is priced JPY 12,800 which is carrier unlocked pricing offered by Japanese carrier FreeTel and seems to be quite cheap for a new smartphone in Japan. The device will be launched on November 30 and will start shipping on the same day.