Windows 10 Mobile upgrade for supported Windows Phone 8.1 devices is rolling-out now and you can read how to update by clicking here. Now while Windows 10 Mobile comes with a massive changelog of changes and new features over the Windows Phone 8.1, there is some feature depreciation too. There are some additional requirements for using certain features that you need to know. Check below for more details.
When you install the Windows 10 upgrade, some features currently on your device will be modified or removed, including the following:
- Notifications for missed calls, messages, and emails on contact tiles is not supported at the time of Windows 10 Mobile release.
- Me Tile and Me Card are no longer supported.
- Cortana can no longer search for apps, setting, email, text messaging, contacts and QR Codes on the device and can no longer open apps through voice commands.
- “Hey Cortana” is no longer available on some upgraded devices.
- Group tiles can no longer be used to receive social networking status updates.
- Indoor Maps are no longer available for some locations.
- Certain enterprise features, including Data Protection Under Lock, are not available; please contact your Microsoft Volume Licensing representative for more information.
- At time of Windows 10 Mobile release Outlook Mail app cannot open .EML attachments.
- Outlook Calendar app does not support Tasks.
- MDM capability to prevent saving and sharing Office documents not supported.
Additional requirements to use certain features
- Cortana is currently only available on Windows 10 in the United States, United Kingdom, China, France, Italy, Germany, and Spain.
- Speech-to-text is currently only available on Windows 10 in the United States (English), United Kingdom (English), China (Simplified Chinese), France (French), Italy (Italian), Spain (Spanish), Germany (German), Canada (English), Australia (English), India (English), and Japan (Japanese).
- Speech recognition, including Cortana, will vary by device.
- Windows Hello is limited to select premium phones at launch, and requires specialized hardware, including illuminated infrared camera sensor for facial recognition or a finger print reader which supports the Window Biometric Framework. To check for device compatibility and other important information, visit your device manufacturer’s website.
- Continuum for phones limited to select premium phones. Feature requires external monitor with DisplayPort, HDMI connector, or compatible adapter and Continuum for phones-compatible accessories, all sold separately. App availability and experience varies by device and market.
- Office 365 subscription required for some Office features.
- Music and video streaming through Groove Music (formerly Xbox Music) or Movies & TV apps is not available in all regions. For the most up-to-date list of regions, please go to the Xbox on Windows website.
- Xbox app and some games and features only available in Xbox Live-supported countries and regions. You can see the list at Xbox Live Countries and Regions website
- Skype available only in select countries and regions. Calling to select countries and regions only. Excludes special, premium and non-geographic numbers. For details, visit the Office FAQ page
- Microsoft account required for some features.