Microsoft last pushed Windows 10 Mobile Build 14977, the latest Redstone 2 or Creators update Build to devices of Windows Insiders in Fast ring. Read the full official changelog and known issues by clicking here.
Now we share our Impressions of the build including performance, multitasking, gaming, navigation demo, bugs & Installation experience. We have also demoed the unmentioned fixes.
Build 14977 Installation Experience:
The Installation experience for Build 14977 has been smooth on most of the devices except some Lumia 550 and Lumia 650 devices. Microsoft had already included this in the list of known issues. It took around 40 to 45 minutes for the build to get downloaded, installed, data migrated and the devices getting up and running. This time around the download and installation issues are mostly gone.
You can refer to our common issues and errors fixing guide for more. You will be usually notified for a restart when the download has completed in background. You can check our tutorial on how to prepare for upgrade to Windows 10 Mobile.
Build 14977 Hands-on Impressions (Performance, Multitasking, Gaming, Battery Life & more):
Windows 10 Mobile Build 14977 seems to be a mixed bag in terms of overall experience.
- We didn’t need to do hard reset after installing this build. In case you are facing lots of issues after installation of Build 14977 you can do a hard reset. You can refer to our Backup and reset tutorial if you need to do a hard reset.
- Build 14977 was found to be smooth during normal daily smartphone tasks like start-screen navigation, apps list scrolling, opening and closing of settings, handling calls, texts and more.
- We didn’t face random reboots and freezes on Build 14977.
- Coming to other routine and important stuff, Mobile Data and WiFi connections work fine on our devices
- Multitasking for apps and games needs a fix in terms of RAM management. While resuming of app and games works impressively, apps and games may crash in background while multitasking. Many times apps or games restart instead of getting suspended in background.
- Microsoft Edge though seemingly faster has issues of crashing of tabs.
- Video Playback and streaming works fine
- Battery Life is good on Build 14977 as compared to previous builds.
Major Bug & Issues:
- Bluetooth functionality needs a UI overhaul with control options like allowing “which devices to connect automatically” or “manually”. There should be option to manually search for Bluetooth devices.
- RAM management seems causing issues while multitasking with many apps in the background
- Microsoft Edge Tabs crash at times while browsing
In a Nutshell:
We are running Build 14977 as a daily driver and it offers mixed experience. We recommend going for it. If you have stomach for bugs / issues but stronger love for new features upgrade to it or else move to Slow / Release Preview Ring. Future builds may bring even more bugs.
We also want to make it clear that it is our hands-on experience with the build and your experience may vary and may be better or worse than ours. We recommend hard reset, if you are facing lots of issues. You can read our guide to fix commonly known Windows 10 Mobile upgrade, installation and usability issues.
Read our Full Redstone 2 Coverage here:
[display-posts tag=”Redstone-2″ posts_per_page=”15″ image_size=”thumbnail”]