Lewa was the first one to release a custom ROM for Nokia X in very early days of the device launch. Now since Microsoft has done away with software development for Nokia X series of devices there is no possibility for any new OS / Firmware coming officially for Nokia X series. Anyways, there are some stable custom ROMs including Lewa’s latest Lewa OS 5.1, that are still available and you can download and flash them to your Nokia X and Nokia XL. But at your own risk, as it terminates warranty and can also cause harm to your device if not done properly.
The Lewa OS 5.1 ROM has been tweaked by XDA devs with better performance and new features. Have a look at the features set below. One more great news is that the dev is providing the future updates for Lewa OS 5.1 over the air (OTA).
In case you are interested in one more Stable ROM for Nokia X, XL and X2 you can install Stable Lovi OS 2.0 ROM based on Android KitKat.
Original Lewa Features:
– Lewa Style
– Lewa Launcher and apps
– Almost bug-free experience
– Wi-fi and everything working
– Latest NULL Kernel v3.8.100! (31.07.14)
– Optimized and smoother than stock
– Performance Tweaks
– Removed unwanted apps and much more.
– OTA Updates Added!
– Lewa Latest Animations and boot sounds
– Tons of New Features
– More stabler and tons of new features (NEW ! v4!!!)
– Total of 94 bug fixes until now!
– See Changelog for more info.
Lewa OS 5.1 for Nokia X & Nokia XL installation instructions:
You need to use the Lewa Recovery image for installing Lewa ROM.
– Download Lewa Recovery image.
– Flash the recovery using Nokia X Flasher. (Or you can use Flashify but it’s risky)
– After you are flashed the Recovery, boot into it by pressing Volume + and power key for 15 seconds.
– Goto Backup and create one backup.
– Download latest version of Lewa OS ROM and G-apps (links provided under Downloads heading in this thread).
– Download Mi-Pop add on if you want it.
– Download Nokia XL patch as well. (Only For XL Users)
– Place the downloaded zips in the root of your SD card.
– Once booted into Lewa Recovery, choose Wipe and then Swipe to confirm.
– Now go back to menu, and choose Install.
– Then choose the ROM zip.
– DONT swipe yet. Choose Add more zips.
– Then choose the G-Apps zip.
– Choose Add more zips again and Choose Mi-pop Add on zip.
– If you have Nokia XL, Choose Add more zips once again and Choose the Nokia XL Patch zip.
– Swipe to Confirm. The ROM, G-Apps and any additional zips will be installed.
– Choose Reboot System. ( If it gets stuck, don’t panic. It’s a bug in the recovery. Simply remove the battery, insert it again and power up the device)
– Let it boot. It might take a couple of minutes to boot for the first time.
If you are not aware of the Nokia X Flasher then it is a great tool for flashing Stock and Custom ROMs to Nokia X and Nokia XL. Read more and download it from here. In case you run into any issue with Lewa OS 5.1, you can use Nokia X Flasher to go back to Stock ROM (Stock Nokia OS).