In a recent official blog post, Windows Phone team has let few interesting tidbits out about Windows Phone performance, Developer opportunities and about future of Windows Phone.
- Windows Phone’s next release 8.1 to run existing Windows Phone apps and games with the same tools and the same technologies you’re using today.
- According to the IDC Worldwide Mobile Phone Tracker (May 2013), Windows Phone posted the largest year-over-year (YOY) gain among the leading operating systems (131% YOY), more than doubling in size from a year ago, and leapfrogging BlackBerry for 3rd place. In Q1 2013, according to IDC, Windows Phone shipped more units than BlackBerry in 33 markets, and more units than iPhone in 11 markets.
- Nokia Lumia 520 is the fastest-selling Windows Phone mid-tier device, with sales in the first 90 days outpacing the Lumia 610, Lumia 510, and Lumia 620 device launches.
- Transaction volumes in the Windows Phone Store now are reaching 200 million per month, with a 2.5x increase in daily revenue since the launch of Windows Phone 8.
- Carrier billing with 30 carriers connected across 20 markets so far, ahead of Google Play. Just as encouraging, when carrier billing is put in place in a market, we see an overall 6-8x lift in paid transactions in emerging markets (where credit card use is low), and a 3x uplift in more developed markets.
- Red Stripe Deals, which offers users the opportunity to purchase one app, one indie game, and one Xbox game each week, at a savings of at least 50% has seen an average 4x lift in net revenue for developers featured in each week of promotion, with revenue lift for up to 4 weeks following the promotion as a result of increased rankings and exposure in high-traffic areas of the Store.
- Only $19 “Summer Break” limited time offer for developers .