With Continuum for phones, you can turn any screen/display which is connected to a display dock, into a full-blown PC. It enables you to use your apps on a larger screen using a keyboard and a mouse.
Lumia 950 and Lumia 950 XL were the first Microsoft branded smartphones to come with this treat, which indeed required special hardware.
But now it looks like with a simple trick, a mod, you can enable/ turn any device to support Continuum, without a display dock. Let us dive into the steps and see how it works.
- Download the files, from this link here (3)
- You should be running Windows 10 Anniversary update (both PC and Mobile) – 14393.0 and above
- Patience, of course.
As a word of recommendation, this hack can damage your device if you don’t know what you are doing. We do not take responsibility of any kind.
Once you are done downloading, follow the steps below.
Steps to enable Continnum:
- Copy and paste the downloaded “microsoft_ms_docking…” cab file to C drive on your PC under (C:\cabs).
- Extract the downloaded i386.zip file to C drive on PC.
- Copy and paste interop tools file(.appxbundle) into your phone memory.
- On your phone, go to File Explorer > select phone memory. Scroll to appx interop file and tap on it, to install it.(Please note you should enable dev feature first to sideload the app, settings>update & security. select sideload apps option)
- Once the app is installed, you will see it in the list of apps.
- Open the interop app and Enable/toggle on these features : Interop/Cap Unlock, New Capability Engine Unlock, Full Filesystem Access, Restore NDTKSvc .
- Make Sure MTP Root Path is C drive (under Full Filesystem Access toggle option)
- On your PC, press Win + X and select Command Prompt(Admin) from the list.
- Type this command C:\i386\iutool.exe -p C:\cabs -v and press Enter key on the keyboard and wait.
- Once you press Enter key, you phone will reboot and the process of upgrading will start. Wait for its completion.
- If you get any error while upgrade process, ignore it.
- Open the Interop tools app on your phone, and select Registry Editor from the hamburger menu.
- Enter Registry Type as “Integer”, Registry Key path as SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shell\Docking, Registry Value Name as EnabledForTest and Value data as 1.
- Tap on Write Data button.
- Reboot your phone.
- Once rebooted, Continuum app will appear in the list of apps. Open it.
- Select Wireless adapter option on “how will you connect screen” and tap on Connect button.
- Now, on your PC open Action Center (Win + A), and click Connect button.
- Click on Projecting to this PC link from the Connect screen to get to settings.
- Select “Available everywhere” option from the first drop down that appears.
- On our phone, from the Action + Notification Center, tap and open connect app.
- The app will search and find your PC , tap on your PC name and you will get a toast notification on your PC asking to project. Tap on Yes.
- Voila! Start comes up and Continuum is here.
If you follow the above steps carefully, you will be able to experience continuum on your PC with your Phone.
Here is a video tutorial of the same.