So, Microsoft has started rolling out an update to devices running Windows Phone 8.1 developer preview. This update takes the Windows Phone 8.1 OS version to 8.10.12382.878. So, here is the update installation experience and what we can find as new or changed.
First things first, please make sure you have “Preview for developers app” still installed and you are signed in and have enabled it for update. If not, you may not get any “update available” prompt when checking for update.
Now go to Settings—>Phone update—> check for updates. Once prompted let it download the update. 8.10.12382.878 update is about 22 MB in size and the whole installation experience takes 15-20 minutes including data restore post update. Once the update is done you will be informed. Check the above screenshots.
While this is mostly a Bug Fixing and Battery life enhancement kind of update, here are few improvements I could notice.
- New Cortana animations including new bouncing ball avatar
- Bing rewards are now available and can be accessed from Cortana search settings
- Battery life is certainly better than before
- Universal Phone search is much faster now with or without Cortana
- Music app feels snappier and that loud sound while switching songs is gone
- Internet explorer has more fluidity build around, it seems
What else you could notice? Do let us know in comments below.
In case you want to read more about Windows Phone 8.1 features, tips, tricks, hands-on, get them all on one page.