AT&T has started rolling out Windows 10 Mobile Threshold aka MR1 to Lumia 830 devices attached to its network. Here is how you can prepare your devices and upgrade to Windows 10 Mobile. If you are wondering what changes you will see in Windows 10 Mobile over Windows Phone 8.1, you need to read our massive changelog.
In case you need help with initial setup post Windows 10 Mobile update, refer to our tutorial.
Here is what AT&T has to say about the update for Lumia 830.
Effective July 28, 2016, Microsoft released an update for the Nokia 830 (RM983). This update will be available Over-The-Air (OTA) using a Wi-Fi connection.
Software update includes
Windows 10 operating system:
- Built-in Applications – photos, maps, messaging, music, video and more.
- Cortana – personal assistant
- Improved multi-task and organize capability for improved productivity
- OneDrive – online storage
- Secureboot – supports quick and secure reboot
- Windows Defender – malicious malware protection
- Windows Store – for access to hundreds of thousands of applications.
What to expect after the update
Although there should be no impacts to settings or data, we recommend that you back up your media files to a PC, or by using a favorite application, prior to upgrading the software. You won’t be able to use your phone while the update installs.
To update the software
The upgrade to Windows 10 is an “opt-in” experience. You will need to download and install the Windows Upgrade Advisor app on your device and enable it for the upgrade. Enable must be checked to get the upgrade. The package will be pushed via OTA directly to the device. You will have the option to “postpone” or “install” the update immediately to your device. The software can be downloaded via a Wi-Fi connection. If you select to “postpone” the installation of the update, the notification will pop up again in about two days. The notification cannot be postponed permanently.You may also manually check for update availability by:
- From the Start screen, scroll to and tap Settings.
- Scroll to and tap Phone update.
- Tap Check for update.
- The device will determine if new software is available, and begin downloading the software update.
- When complete, a completion message will be displayed.
Thanks to Pete, Armand & Vilo for the tips. Cheers!!